Information for Newly Qualified Teachers (NQTs)

Information for Newly Qualified Teachers (NQTs)

Teachers must have qualified teacher status (QTS) to take up a teaching post in a maintained primary, secondary or special school in England.  This also includes teaching posts in non-maintained special schools.

The UK Government Teaching Regulation Agency (TRA) are the awarding body for Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) - not Manchester City Council.

Teachers who have trained outside of England and Wales must obtain the necessary clearance from the UK Government Teaching Regulation Agency (TRA) before they apply for positions in maintained schools and non-maintained special schools in England - the TRA will determine whether or not you are required to undergo a statutory induction period.

For full details including the steps you need to take, please visit one of the relevant links below:

Teachers trained or recognised in Northern Ireland or Scotland

Teachers trained or recognised in Rep of Ireland and other EEA member states

Teachers trained or recognised outside of the EEA


Spotted an error or a broken link on this page ?  Please let us know via the feedback link below:

Was this information helpful? >

How can we make this section better?