You must have Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) to take up a teaching post in a maintained primary, secondary or special school in England.  This also includes teaching posts in non-maintained special schools.  The UK Government Teaching Regulation Agency (TRA) are the awarding body for QTS.

Teachers from the EEA including Northern Ireland, Rep of Ireland & Scotland…

Teachers who have trained outside of England and Wales must obtain the necessary clearance from the UK Government Teaching Regulation Agency (TRA) before applying for positions in maintained schools and non-maintained special schools in England.  

The TRA will determine whether or not you are required to complete a statutory induction period.

For full details including requirements and the steps you need to take please visit one of the following links to the government website:

Teachers trained or recognised in Northern Ireland or Scotland

Teachers trained or recognised in Rep of Ireland and other EEA member states 

Teachers from outside of the EEA inc Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States of America (USA)….

Teachers who have trained outside of the EEA will also need to visit the UK Government Department for Education (DfE) website for comprehensive information and guidance relating to the requirements/qualifications needed to teach in England.

For full details, please visit the following link to the government website:  Non-EEA Nationals

Other Useful Links:

          Naric Logo    


Spotted an error or a broken link on this page ?  Please let us know via the feedback link below: 

Was this information helpful? >

How can we make this section better?